Tips to Protect Your Walls from Dirt
The paints you use on the exterior walls of your house are not just supposed to make them look pretty but are also meant to protect the walls and your home from environmental damages and pollution. Your exterior wall paint should be able to withstand the impact of harsh sun rays, strong winds, and overexposure to moisture during the monsoons. And that’s not all these walls have to face! The exterior walls of your home are also bombarded continuously with pollution and particles of dust, grime, and dirt. As time goes on, these particles accumulate on your walls, damaging the strength of the paint and also making it look dull and old.
1. Dirt-resistant paints and its types
When repainting the exterior walls of your home, it is critical to get paint that shields your house from changes in the weather and also dust and dirt. A variety of paints are available in the market today, so you are sure to find one that suits all your needs. When opting for a dirt-resistant paint, people tend to pick paints with a glossy finish. Flat and matte paints have more pores, and these tiny pores are the perfect spots for dust and dirt to settle in. A glossy finish in a dirt-proof paint has a smooth and even surface that is not favourable for the dust to collect in. Another common texture for dirt-resistant paints in acrylic paints. Paints that are 100% acrylic also provide sufficient protection from external dirt. The dirt proof paint you select should also include terms like “wash ability” or “scrub ability”. This ensures that these paints can easily be cleaned if stained. You do not want an exterior paint that can’t be washed down or a paint that will lose its sheen if cleaned with water.
2. How to select a dirt-resistant paint?
When selecting a dirt-resistant paint, you have to take into account a host of different factors that could affect the application and durability of the paint. Here are some questions to ask yourself when selecting a dirt-resistant paint –
● Your geographic location/weather conditions – Is your house located in a place that receives strong sunlight for many months in a year? Do you live in a city that experiences heavy rainfall? Is your house in an area that is often polluted? All these factors will heavily impact the type of paint you choose. Your dirt proof paint should also be able to withstand these other forces.
● The surface of your exterior walls – Are you painting over only brick and cement walls? Do you also want to coat metal or wood with the same paint?
With so many options of dirt proof paints to choose from, it is easy to get overwhelmed. To make your task simple, we recommend using the Dirt-proof and Waterproof Exterior Laminate by Indigo. The high sheen finish and high washability of the Dirt-proof and Waterproof Exterior Laminate give it an exceptionally smooth and dirt-resistant finish which will keep your walls looking fresh and new for a very long time. The Indigo Dirtproof and Waterproof Exterior Laminate is India’s only exterior emulsion that shields your walls from dirt and water together.
3. Benefits of using dirt-resistant paint
A dirt-resistant paint on your exterior walls shields your walls and makes it difficult for dust and pollution particles from ruining the walls. The stain-resistance and washable properties of the dirt-proof paint also make the maintenance of your external walls easy and less time-consuming.
4. Painting tips
Now that you have selected your dirt-resistant paint, it’s time to prep your exterior walls and apply the paint. Here are the steps you should follow to apply the dirt-proof paint on your walls.
a. Before you begin painting, clean the surface of your walls and scrub thoroughly to remove the old coat of paint and also get rid of any moss or algae that might have grown on these walls. Prepping your walls is key to getting a perfect application of your dirt proof paint.
b. Inspect your walls for cracks and seal them using a 1:3 mixture of cement and sand. Or you could also use the Indigo Polymer Putty to fill in all the gaps and cracks in your walls.
c. Once all the cracks are filled in and sealed, apply a coat of Indigo Exterior Wall Primer to smoothen out the surface and get an even application of the dirt-resistant paint. To prepare the primer, mix one litre of the primer with one litre of water and apply.
d. Now that your wall is prepped and primed, it is ready for the paint job. Mix one litre of the Indigo Dirtproof and Waterproof Exterior Laminate with 400 ml of water to obtain the right consistency for application. Apply two coats of this dirt proof paint to all vertical walls and three coats to horizontal surfaces like sunshades or ledges. You can use a roller, spray, or brush to apply the paint. Wait around four to six hours between each coat.
Points to keep in mind when using dirt-proof paints –
1. Follow all the safety instructions and painting directions that come with the paint to prevent any injuries. Whether you are a first-timer or have been painting exterior walls for a while, take all the necessary precautions to protect yourself when painting the walls.
2. Do not experiment with the mixing ratios and interval timings mentioned on the labels. The effectiveness and durability of the dirt resistance paints will be severely impacted if they are not mixed in the exact quantities.
Follow the steps mentioned above and use these handy tips to get a perfect paint application every time. Use the Indigo Dirtproof and Waterproof Exterior Laminate to shield your walls from dirt as well as water. Happy painting!