Which colour is best for exterior walls?
One common mistake that people commit while selecting wall paint combinations is that they forget the exterior walls. Outdoors are a vital part of your home. While spending time with children or just having your morning tea, the colours of your exterior walls resonate with your mood. Choosing the right exterior wall paint combinations can be challenging.
Overview of Colours for Exterior Walls
Just like buying new clothes from time to time, your home requires a new makeover every once in a while. It is necessary to change your exterior wall paint to protect it from damage and maintain the overall look and health of your house.
Your home protects you from the harsh sun, winters, hailstorm, dust, snow and what not! If not taken care of, the walls will start coming off and might eat up your house from the inside. Exterior emulsion colours protect your house from moderate resistance to fungal & algal attack.
Additionally, exterior house paints add elegance to your house. A well-maintained house radiates positivity. It ensures the health of both the house and its inhabitants. A happy and colourful home gives birth to happy and vibrant families.
It is comparatively harder to find blogs which assist you in choosing exterior paint combinations. As usual, Indigo Paints has got your back. We bring to a wholesome guide to the best exterior house paint combinations.
Types of Colour for Exterior Walls
Exterior wall paints form the first impression of your house in front of guests and friends. A leaking and chappy wall is the last thing you want to see after a challenging day at work. Unlike interior wall paints, exterior house paints need not be symbolic of your mood. You must consider your surroundings.
We seldom realize the effect of the first and last site we visit every day. If you are someone with an ample amount of plants and trees around your house, white is the perfect exterior wall paint for your house. It gives a luxurious look to your house. The power of whites and shades of cream resides in their cost-effectiveness, and simultaneously, they keep your house cool in summers by reflecting most of the sunlight.
Whites make your house look ageless and spacious. Additionally, you can add any contrasting coloured gates and LED lights to add that extra class.
2. Light Brown
Another timeless colour for exterior walls is light brown. It instantly gives a warm and welcoming vibe as your exterior wall colour combination. Brown goes best with large windows and open balconies.
If there is one colour which never fails to add a smile to everyone’s faces, then it is yellow. It goes well both as an interior and as exterior wall paint. It is a suitable home wall colour combination if you have little kids. Its vibrant tones and shades instantly cheer up the overall feel of your house.
Grey is one of the trendiest modern exterior wall paint colours. It will make your house stand out against your neighbours’. White and black panels and doors complement greys best. It gives an elegant and suave look to the walls and is one of the most sophisticated choices for an exterior house paint.
5. Navy Blue
Although a lesser-known combination for exterior wall paints, navy blue is an excellent colour for outdoors. It adds depth to your intricate woodwork. Add white, in contrast, to make the walls pop out. Use Premium XT Exterior Paint to protect your house against extreme weather conditions, be it harsh sunlight or heavy rains.
How to Apply Colour for Exterior Walls – Steps/Guide
It is preferable to get external help to get your exterior wall painted as it requires climbing higher walls with bare minimum support. However, Indigo Paints acknowledges the joy of colouring your own home. Follow these basic steps and voila! Your new home is ready.
1. Scraping: Before you begin to apply a new coat of paint, you need to start by scraping off the old paint. Use wire brushes and a wide-blade putty to do the job. This includes cleaning the surface of loose paint, dust, and grease. This step is necessary to get rid of past algae and fungus.
2. Smoothening: Use sandpaper to smoothen the uneven walls which might have corroded under the sun.
3. Seal cracks: Use 1:3 mixtures of cement and sand. Indigo Polymer Putty is highly recommended to plaster surfaces. Allow 3 months for cracks to heal before painting.
4. Self-priming coat: Dilute 1 litre of paint (Indigo Exterior Wall Primer) with 1 litre of water and apply a priming coat over your exterior walls.
5. Apply two coats of Dirtproof & Waterproof Exterior Paint. Mix 1 litre of paint with 400 ml of water to thinify your paint.
6. Apply three coats on horizontal surfaces. Use a brush, roller or spray with 4-6 hours interval between consecutive coats.
1. Exterior house paints are prone to decay. Protect your walls by adding a coat of exterior emulsions or Dirtproof & Waterproof Exterior Paint and laminate your walls against dirt, dust, fungus, water, and algae.
2. Use Premium XT Exterior Paints to give a matt finish to your home.
3. If you do not want to use just water, use trisodium phosphate in warm water to extra clean your walls before painting.
4. Make sure you get all necessary repairs done before you get down to paint your walls.
5. Let every layer dry before adding a new layer.
You are now ready to take your home decor to the next level. If you still have any doubts, Indigo Paints is just a call away! We offer personal assistance in planning the entire colour scheme of your house so that your home always makes you feel safe, inside out.
Make your dream home a reality with Exterior Paints from Indigo Paints. Let the exterior walls of your home reflect your inner shine.Also Read Double protection for exterior walls What kind of paint do you use on exterior walls?