What Type of Paint is Best for Walls?
Wall paint design can completely change the way your house looks. Especially in India, most homeowners tend to choose colourful accent walls for their homes to make them look cohesive and colourful. Thus, for any renovation or move, the first thing to consider is painting the walls. However, apart from the look and feel of the paint, various aspects go into the paint composition. Here is a quick and comprehensive guide for you to choose the perfect colour for your home.
Types of Wall Paints
Wall paints for the home can be divided into two broad categories. They are as follows.
● Water-based Paints
Water-based paints are among the most popular paints in India. They are emulsions and acrylic paints composed of water, vinyl, and acrylics. The benefit of using water-based paints is that they are effortless to work with. They do not leave an odor behind and dry within four to six hours.
From a maintenance perspective too, these paints are easy to clean, and stains can be cleaned off them efficiently. Thus, if you have children who may make messes and plan to paint your own home, water-based paints are your best bet.
● Oil-based Paints
Enamel is one of the most popular oil-based paints. These paints are long-lasting and can be used on multiple surfaces, including wood, metal, and walls. They can handle heavy stains and heat. Hence, they are perfect for rooms such as a kitchen.
However, oil-based paints take a long time to dry. They take almost twice as long as water-based paints.
Texture and Feel of Wall Paints
Indian homes are full of colourful walls. We truly love our colours. Most rooms in Indian homes have a different colour scheme and aesthetic. To enhance the overall experience of coloured walls, you can opt for textured paints. Each paint type has a unique feel. You can choose your favorite according to your taste. The popular kinds of wall paints are as follows.
● Glossy: Glossy paints are shiny and add luster to your wall. They come in both water- and oil-based forms. These paints are reflective and can add a rich look to your house. They are easy to clean and are the most suited for kitchens, as most Indian kitchens use oils and spices, which may leave a stain.
● Matte: Matte paints are perfect for those looking for a traditional and simple Indian look. They are the least reflective and are ideal for accent walls and ceilings.
● Eggshell: Eggshell paints are in between matte and glossy paints. Thus, if you are confused between the two, eggshell paints are the perfect middle ground. They are a good way to transition into two different textures.
● Satin: If you don’t want the glossy-ness of gloss paints but still wish to achieve a smooth texture, satin paints are best for you.
At Indigo Paints, all colours are available in all textures, so you will not have to compromise in the slightest!
Choosing the Best Paint for Walls
Now that you know everything about paints, you may be confused about how to go about choosing the type, texture, and colour for wall painting. Keep these tips in mind before picking your perfect paint.
● Understand your need: Know what purpose the room and walls are going to serve. Always choose functionality. For example, oil paints are better for the kitchen than emulsions.
● Budget carefully: Plan out your budget before investing in paints and choose wisely. For example, rented spaces may not need long-lasting oil paints.
Interior Designing Tips for Wall Painting
The following tips are useful when you undertake a wall painting project.
● Swatch and test samples: Swatching samples will give you a better idea about how the paint looks after drying. It will help you get a better idea about the final look.
● Limit colours: While colours add a lot of character to your home, it is essential not to overdo it. Restrict bright colours to only one accent wall so that it remains the highlight of your home.
● Use lighting: Good lighting can enhance the look of your paints. Use mood lights to create an ambiance of your liking. For example, warm lights go well with warm-coloured walls and vice versa.
● Get experimental: Apart from the above-mentioned wall paints, some new varieties of colours such as chalkboard and metallic paints are also a great option. Don’t hesitate to try these new options.
Do-it-yourself wall painting is a great way to connect with your family members while enhancing the look of your home. Spend a weekend with your family repainting your home. Check out the wide variety of paints available at Indigo Paints!