Things to keep in mind while renovating terrace for the first time
With the scarcity of space in modern households, it is rare to find houses with open areas. Lucky are those people who can claim to have a terrace in their homes.
While it is one thing to possess a terrace and enjoy its seemingly limitless expanse, the actual struggle starts when the terrace demands upkeep and renovation. As this area is exposed to nature’s vagaries throughout the year, the likeliness of its deterioration and damage increases manifold.
If you are a proud ‘master’ of a terrace area and experience trouble deciding how to renovate it for the first time, do not worry. We have got your back.
Although you can hire the services of a specialist for a more professional approach to renovation, the various DIY enthusiasts can transform this special place in their unique manner.
In this article, we will highlight what you need to keep in mind while renovating a terrace for the first time. We will cover three pertinent questions that will aid your decision to start the renovation work and complete it without much hassle – with or without professional help.
What kind of renovation adds the most value to my terrace area?
A renovation should not be carried out just when things are at a tipping point; instead, it should be done on a proactive basis. This approach ensures that the terrace not only remains appropriately maintained but also adds a lot of value to your house. The overall look and feel of the home gets accentuated by keeping the terrace up in prime condition.
A terrace offers a multitude of options for renovation, a few of them being – redecoration, structural protection and energy efficiency. Here are some of the renovation ideas to get you going.
1. Garden landscaping – One of the easiest and the most eco-friendly ways to reimagine your terrace area. A lush green terrace, full of foliage, makes the area a lot more appealing. You can add some more personalization by incorporating DIY paint ideas into the garden accessories.
You can also decorate the garden to complement the modern interior painting ideas implemented inside your home.
2. Energy-efficient light fixtures – If you have a decently sized terrace area, it will require some lighting to remain accessible during the nighttime. If you regularly spend time on the terrace at night, it makes economic sense to invest in energy-efficient light fixtures.
3. Painting the wall veneers – If you have a stone or a wooden wall somewhere on the terrace, you can try applying a fresh coat of paint to revitalize its dull veneer and make it the star attraction of your terrace. There are several wall colour ideas that you can refer to and implement as per your preference and requirements.
4. Repainting of the existing setup – You can try repainting the existing furniture pieces on your terrace, such as tables, chairs, swings and stools. The underlying proposition here is to make the terrace appear quirky and inviting to all its visitors.
By incorporating a touch of DIY wall painting ideas, lifeless walls could be made to spring back to life in a quick and convenient manner.
5. Waterproofing – The terrace is prone to water stagnation, which could result in seepage in the walls and eventually a lot of damage to the home interiors. Your house painting colours can lose their lustre in no time if the waterproofing is not done correctly.
6. Terrace Flooring – The material used for terrace flooring also determines the longevity of your home interiors. The most durable materials include stone, concrete and tiles. If you have a covered terrace, you might as well check out wooden flooring for an unmatched appeal.
How to get rid of dust in a renovation?
Any renovation process entails a lot of construction-related dust. While this is unavoidable, common techniques, such as clearing the area before the renovation, covering all the items with a cloth, wiping the renovated walls with a dry cloth and cleaning the floor with broom/vacuum cleaner, can minimize the spreading of dust.
How can I waterproof an old terrace?
An old terrace is a prime candidate for waterproofing. Use of Indigo Paints Dirtproof & Waterproof Exterior Laminate is recommended for adequate protection against dirt, water and extreme weather conditions.
● First of all, wash and clean the terrace surface thoroughly to remove all kinds of dust.
● Fill the cracks with sand and cement mixed in a 1:3 ratio.
● Follow it with the application of Indigo Exterior Wall Primer, mixed in water in a 1:1 ratio.
● Apply a couple of coats of Indigo Dirtproof & Waterproof Exterior Laminate, diluted in water in a 2.5:1 ratio. For best results, ensure that there is an interval of four to six hours between the coats.
Paint ideas to redesign office in small budget