How do you paint wood?
Plywood surfaces usually have a rough and harsh look unless they have a veneer finish on them. They are naturally less attractive when compared to other surfaces. If you are working on a plywood project and wondering about the ways to make it look appealing, a simple wood paint job can do the trick.
You see, painting wood comes with many benefits. It is easy to maintain, acts as a protective layer for the plywood, and easy to apply. Moreover, good wood paint can effortlessly mask all the stains on the plywood, regaining its gleaming finish. Painting wood is also a great DIY idea these days.
So, drop the idea of dumping your old wooden items and try Indigo Sleek Wood Coating to give them a new look. Let’s dive into more details like what are the types of paints available in the market, steps to apply, benefits, and some useful painting tips.
Types of Wood Paint
● Oil-Based Paint – People prefer this wood paint due to its high-class finish and durability. The oil component in the wood paint will give a glossy and shiny finish to the surface. The best part is that oil-based paints do not need a topcoat. You can apply this paint directly on the bare wood or right after the primer.
● Latex Paint – If you are planning to give a matte or satin finish to the plywood, you should go for Latex wood paint. The beautiful brush strokes look given by this paint can be the highlight of your artistic wooden surfaces. You can clean the Latex wood paint easily with the help of soap and water.
● Water-Based Paint – The majority of the wood paints available in the market are water-based. They are easy to apply and give a classy look to the plywood. Moreover, there is no need to get the wood surface ready before applying water-based paint on it. People prefer this wood paint as it does not crack or fade and dries quickly.
● Acrylic Paint – It works great for small wood paint projects. It is an odour-less paint that dries quickly and leaves the wood with an artistic appearance. You see, acrylic wood paint gives wings to your creativity. You can use any colour of your choice to create special effects. This wood paint is quite affordable and easy to use.
How to Use Wood Paint – Steps/Guide?
● Type of Wood – First of all, you need to identify the kind of plywood you are using in your project. This is because the extent of preparation before painting entirely depends upon this characteristic. A high-grade wood might not need a lot of effort to get the perfect finish as compared to construction-grade wood.
● Preparing the Wood – Drywall mud or general wood putty should be used to fill the cracks, holes, or any other uneven surfaces while doing the wood paint. In case there is a need to apply another coat, make sure you sand the plywood surface in between.
● Primer – Primer is effective in sealing the plywood surface. It will also prevent the wood paint from soaking in the wood. Make sure you let it dry completely before starting with the next step. You can also consult an expert to understand the right process to apply the primer.
● Paint – It is the final and most crucial step of your wood paint job. You must go for a high-quality wood paint and application brush for the best results. Professionals recommend Epoxy wood paint for higher durability and acrylic-latex ones for quick applications. Usually, two coats of wood paint are enough to give a beautiful finish to the plywood, but you can go for a third if needed. Also, let the first coat dry before applying the second coat.
Benefits of Painting Wood
● Versatile Options – The best part about a wood paint project is that you get to choose from a wide range of colour and polish options. Make sure you hire a professional who will recommend the best colour combinations that will go well with your home décor.
● Easy to Maintain – High-quality wood paint does not peel or crack at any cost. Moreover, it also provides a solid protective layer for wood. A professional paint job will last longer without frequent need for repainting.
● Easy to Apply – If you are in the mood to try your hands on some creative DIY ideas, indigo wood paint can be the best pick for you. You see, applying wood paint on the wooden surface is easier as compared to metal ones. Moreover, you can change the colour or recoat anytime without stripping the earlier paint.
● Mask Flaws – Do you have an old-looking and stained piece of wooden furniture at your home? Why not give it a new look by painting it all over again? This will instantly uplift its appearance by effectively hiding all the flaws. It will leave you with stylish and new-looking furniture.
● Colour – Choosing the right colour for wood paint is not an easy task. Make sure you refer a wood painting product range from Indigo Paints and take a colour that matches with your current décor. You can also go for off-beat combinations as well.
● Professional – You should always trust a professional for your wood paint tasks. They understand the temperament of the material and will choose the right paint type for it.
● Paint Brush – There are a variety of paintbrushes available in the market. Select the appropriate one and clean it properly after every pu enamel wood paint session. It will keep your brush in a good state for a longer time.
● Trends – Consider having a look at the latest wood paint trends before beginning your project. Your aim should be to create a piece that matches your sensibilities.
We hope this guide has answered all your wood paint concerns. You see, paint breathes life into plywood and can instantly uplift the décor of the space. You should always go for a colour combination that suits your taste and personality.Also Read What are the types of wood finishes? How do you apply enamel paint to wood?